Safety Tips


Faulty electrical wiring or equipment and misuse of electrical appliances are usually the main causes of hazard at homes. Here are some tips for electrical safety to use electricity / appliances at home in a safe manner to avoid accidents at home:

1. When not in use, unplug all appliances

A hairdryer can electrocute you if it falls into a pail of water, or sinks in a bathtub.

2. Use the correct size and ISI make of fuse

Incompatibility will cause excess current to flow in electrical appliances and house wiring. This can damage electrical appliances and can also lead to fire.

3. Never replace a burn-out fuse with other materials

Wires or other conductors will not break in case of short circuit.

4. If light switches or outlets feel warm to the touch, turn them off

Call a qualified electrician to immediately check the wiring and condition of switches.

5. Warn kids not to peep and poke at electrical outlets

Shield exposed outlets with detachable plastic cover plugs to avoid electrocution specially, which can easily be touched by kids.

6. Place TV sets away from windows

Rainwater, if it enters the TV housing will cause electrical shock. Also, avoid placing vases, drinking or wine glasses on top of TV sets. The TV set should not be covered with a cloth / plastic cover when it is on. This can lead to sustaining of heat inside the TV set, which may damage the set.

7. Only licensed electricians should handle electrical problems

Electricity is hazardous, so only qualified electrician should handle any electrical related maintenance activity.

8. Visual Inspection before use

Do not use any appliances or extension cord that shows signs of damaged insulation or exposed wiring. To ensure safe operation, all electrical equipment should be visually inspected before they are used.

UP Power Corporation Limited | Shakti Bhavan, 14, Ashok Marg, Lucknow, UP, India. Ph: 91-522-2887701-03

This website is best viewed at a resolution of 1024 X 768, and in latest version of browsers.